0 comments / Posted on by Tonia Painter

What comes out of your kitchen tap other than water? Nothing right? What about dirt, chlorine, fluoride and heavy metals such as lead, mercury and arsenic? If chlorine is toxic, then why is it added to our water and how do you stop from drinking it or absorbing it in the shower or bath? 

So yes, your drinking water does contain some elements that are toxic. For some of you this may come as no surprise and for the rest of you, you may be falling off your chair! And if you weren’t aware already, skin is porous which means t absorbs. The American Journal of Public Health conducted a study that showed that on average 64% of the chemicals in our water and daily cosmetics are absorbed through the skin or through our stomach lining. They are then absorbed into the bloodstream, where they make their way to vital organs, tissues and other parts of the body.

Heavy Metals


Fluoride is a highly controversial ingredient in this day and age and has been added to our water since the 1940’s due to its ability to prevent tooth decay. It’s also found in regular over-the-counter toothpaste such as Colgate. As of more recent, fluoride has been called out for its toxicity levels.

Personally I’ve seen two dentists in the last year and advised them I no longer use toothpaste with fluoride due to health concerns. I asked both dentists what they think of it, and should I actually be using it? Neither one disagreed with me or said I need, or should be using fluoride. One question I do ask myself is, if we need something added to our water to keep our teeth keep from decaying, then what did cave men do? They’re teeth must have been falling out left, right and center! After more research though, I was reminded that due to our poor diets with high sugar content, which our teeth were not made to handle, our teeth are now decaying. The solution here sounds easy, eat healthier, eat cleaner.


When water sits still, it develops some very scary bacteria rather quickly. We’re talking waterborne disease creating bacteria that gives people typhoid, cholera and dysentery. Since the 1940’s chlorine has been added to public drinking water worldwide as it’s a highly toxic disinfectant that kills certain microbial waterborne bacteria. So if chlorine is so toxic that it kills bacteria, how is it safe to drink?

The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention advise that up to 4miligrams per liter of chlorine is considered safe for consumption and that no likely health effects are to occur at this amount. My question here is, if small amounts of any substance don’t appear to cause any issues, then what are the possible negative health effects of consuming or absorbing these chemicals over time? If I use 12 chemical products and drink tap water every day for 365 days a year, for 50 years, how many toxins will my body have absorbed and what are the possible effects that could have on me? How do they contribute to certain health issues, create health issues, or even worse, do they build up in our systems to cause issues such as cancer?

How to Avoid Chlorine?

So, how do you avoid chlorine absorption and consumption? It’s not impossible, it can be done. Water filters that remove the majority of everything from heavy metals to fluoride and chlorine can be easily bought online right here in Australia. Southern Cross Pottery water filters are amazing. Their filter actually uses a thin layer of ceramic. Water slowly filters through the ceramics pores to remove 99% of all toxins to provide you with safe, clean drinking water. To save yourself from absorbing toxins in the shower, checkout Sonaki Vitamin Shower Australia. These guys make a shower head that uses vitamin C to absorb chlorine. Technically how this works is that two forms of vitamin C (ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate) when added to water, actually work to neutralise chlorine. For your kids bath, you can use vitamin C powder (food grade) and put two small scoops in, to prevent your kids delicate, porous skin from the absorbing anything.

And don’t forget, don’t be fooled by any old water filter. If the filter claims to remove heavy metals only, that’s only half the problem. If you see a filter online and it removes fluoride, chlorine and heavy metals, that’s what you’re looking for. Do your research, read about the company and how their product works. There’s no point wasting money on a filter that only does half the job when you can spend the same amount or slightly more for one that removes everything. Everyone deserves clean, safe drinking water, even you.


Leave a comment

All blog comments are checked prior to publishing


Our blogs are mostly guides into finding the right products to help manage acne, ageing, eczema, or how to find the best fake tan, natural sunscreen, or even natural shampoo, body wash, moisturiser or toothpaste. Our other blogs are informative pieces about certain ingredients found in some of our natural products that you may not have heard of, along with a list of their benefits and what products those ingredients are found in.
Our founder Tonia writes most of our blogs. The "author" can be seen underneath the title of each blog.
We gather our information from as many credible sources as possible such as journal articles, reports, studies etc. Like all other blogs, some information comes from public pages. We always ensure to verify facts from public pages before posting them on our site.